Saturday, February 16, 2008

Adoption 101: To choose or not to choose, that is the question

So my hubby and I have officially jumped into the adoption pool. Right now I feel like with all the paperwork, we are entering with our swim floaties on just trying to muddle through the shallow end. We are not even close to being ready for the diving board yet! The amount of paperwork and questions about what you will or won't accept is crazy! Why can't God just say, here is the baby I have created for you, now it is your job to love it unconditionally like I do for you.

After some long, long, and very tedious thought and prayer sessions, Gary and I decided that any child who could potentially have anything in our families' backgrounds is very acceptable to us. There are many things we are willing to discuss, but I just don't know if I have enough unconditional love to care for a child with a drug background. Is that selfish of me? I guess my thought is that if I cannot have a child on my own, then I can be a little more choosy. Besides, I don't do drugs, so I would never have a child addicted to meth at birth. Sound logical? I hope so because I really don't want to sound shallow. I know through all of this, I just have to trust in the Lord to know, as a child of his, what I am cabable of caring for and loving with all my heart.

Through all of this I have learned that we are very lucky that we have a God who is willing to love us no matter what and is not selfish except for in the fact that he wants us all to come to know him on a personal level.

Thank you Lord for loving me unconditionally!

0 comments: