Thursday, February 7, 2008

Falling in the hole or choosing to walk around

"You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself" - Jim Rohn

I found this quote as I was checking my daily igoogle today. I have personally decided that God is speaking directly to me through igoogle. In the immortal words of Depeche Mode, maybe it is my Personal Jesus, maybe I am just very tired in the mornings, but someone is definately talking to me, and I am starting to sit up and listen.

In class yeterday, we read and analyzed a poem about walking down the same street everyday and noticing a large hole. The question in the poem was, "Do you fall in the hole and blame others, fall in and realize it is your fault, fall in and never get out, fall in and get out, walk around the hole or take a new street?" This is so much like trying to lose weight, or any other habit a person has made the wrong personal choice about.

And that is the key statement, it is all about what YOU choose. No one can make me eat that candy bar sitting on the counter or the soda that is soooo calling my name down the hall in the teacher's lounge. Only I can take control of the situation. So, I really have to ask myself if I want to keep falling in the hole, or am I going to climb back out and take a new street? Things to ponder today...

3 comments:

Kenna Sue said...

I think I just try try to fill that hole with junk, and it never works. Fill that hole with God, however, and I've found that I want less junk.

Ramlin said...

Hi there,

I've been searching for the very poem you speak of and CAN NOT find the name. :( I heard it once on the radio and it's never left my me. Do you by any chance know what the name of the poem is and who wrote it?
Thank you!

Sincerely,

Ramlin

Anonymous said...

It's written by Portia Nelson and It's called "There’s a Hole in my Sidewalk“

Chapter 1.

I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost…
I am helpless.
It isn’t my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter 2.

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don’t see it.
I fall in again.
I cant believe I am in this same place.
But it isn’t my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3.

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in… its a habit.
But, my eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

Chapter 4.

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

Chapter 5.

I walk down another street.