Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Blueberry Heaven

As I was standing at the sink today pondering over what to do with the 14 pounds of blueberries I recently picked here, (yes, we went a little nuts), I thought I should share two of my favorite recipes involving said berries. The first is Blueberry Buckle which is the yummiest coffee cake and can be made with any type of berry. I remember as a kid, waking up on a Sunday morning to the most amazing and heavenly aroma wafting up the stairs and tickling my nose. Good grief, now I want to make some!!!

The second recipe is for a lowfat, but still very scrumpdillyicious blueberry smoothie. Gary and I indulged in one of these the morning after our berry picking adventure. To double the recipe, just add another half cup of berries and another half cup of milk. Enjoy!

Kelly

Blueberry Buckle

Beat together:
3/4 c. sugar1/4 c. butter2 eggs1/2 c. milk
Sift together:
1 1/2 c. flour2 tsp. baking powder1/2 tsp. salt1/2 tsp. nutmeg1/4 tsp. cloves
Stir into egg mixture then carefully fold in 1 quart blueberries or 10 ounce package frozen berries.
Top with:
1/2 c. sugar1/3 c. flour1/2 tsp. cinnamon1/4 c. butter
Mix until crumbly.
Bake in preheated 375 oven about 45 minutes until top springs back when lightly touched. Serve warm cut in squares.

Blueberry Breakfast Shake

1/2 cup blueberries , picked over and rinsed
1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons honey
5ice cubes

DIRECTIONS
Place all ingredients in the jar of a blender, and process until smooth. Serve immediately in tall glasses.

3 comments:

Alana said...

YUM!!! I may just have to try that smoothie recipe tomorrow...thanks, friend!

Kenna Sue said...

I love blueberries. My dad and his wife live on a blueberry farm, but all their berries have been picked! Ack! I have an easy cobbler recipe I need to give you. I think you'd really like it. It's also good made with peaches.

Shelley said...

Those look like great recipes! The smoothie one for when I'm good...the blueberry buckle for when I'm not!