Friday, July 18, 2008

Picture Book Suggestion: Punk Farm

As part of my job, I get to read lots and lots of children's picture books as I look for that elusive great book to use as a mentor text in my reading/writing lessons. I think I will start sharing a few of them for those parents out there who have little ones that love to be read to at night. I will have to tell you though that even my 6th graders love having me read to them just as much or even more than I ever could have imagined. As one of my friends' kids just told me the other day, "You sure know how to pick out the best books, they are sooo funny!"


So, thinking of Alana and the boys (actually R and the hilarious head/login incident made me clear this was a book for them), here is my first entry:







Punk Farm followed by Punk Farm on Tour.

These farm animals are soooo rockin' that they even have their own website, where you can listen to their punked out version of popular kids' songs from the book as you read, and their own pretend myspace page (not a real one, very safe for the kids to visit and pretty hilarious). So, all of you moms and dads out there who always wanted to rock out, now is your chance. Susie, your kids will LOOOOOVVVE these books too! I can just picture "T" doing the air guitar!

As for teachers, great for character studies, voice, circular stories, etc. My 6th graders went nuts over these books and even created new characters for the band, plus song ideas.

So, in the immortal words of Punk Farm, "You Rock Colorado!!!!"


Kelly


1 comments:

Alana said...

Hey Kelly! Sorry I haven't been by in awhile. Thanks for the book review...that looks like a great one! We'll have to check it out!